At Abilities, we employ staff members who are dedicated, fully trained and qualified to perform all the responsibilities of working with people with different abilities.
Our team includes staff who are Certified Professionals in the following areas: Employment Specialists, Vocational Evaluation, Passenger Safety and Securement, Electronic Health Record Software Management, Operational Safety and Security, Rehabilitation Counseling, Social Work, Behavior Analysis, and Human Resources.
The qualification process includes having been trained in the following: Overview of Developmental Disabilities, Abuse and Neglect, Medication Administration, First Aid, CPR, Crisis Management, and Danielle's Law. Direct Support Staff will be required to complete the Direct Support Professional training program within six months of hire. Previous experience is preferred, and a High School Diploma or GED is required for all staff positions.
Current Available Positions:
The Physical Therapist will be responsible for evaluating, diagnosing and the development of treatment plans aiding the recovery and overall improvement of physical activity/mobility of recipients served. He or she will also be responsible for the training of support professionals to help ensure the success of the treatment plan and recipient.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: include but are not limited to:
• Evaluate the strength, balance, range of motion, co-ordination, endurance, and posture of each individual recipient.
• Develop a treatment plan specific to correcting pertinent physical findings.
• Work with support professionals and speech pathologists, occupational therapists and recreational therapists all with the same goal of reaching maximal patient functional independence.
• Communicate verbally or written with legal guardian or caretaker.
• Set goals
• Determine physical activities
• Determine rehab program time
• Provide educational information about physical therapy and physical therapists, injury prevention, ergonomics and ways to promote health.
• Evaluate effects of treatment at various stages and adjust treatments to achieve maximum benefit.
• Attends and contributes to patient care, staffing conferences and other related meetings.
• As well as perform other functions as needed.
• Contact referring physician for clarification or elaboration of treatment orders and recommended changes as indicated
• Evaluate for, document and obtain necessary durable medical equipment and adaptive equipment
• Participate in other related program activities such as ISP meetings, and maintenance of inventory care of equipment
• Actively participate in outcomes measurement programs as assigned
• Monitor consumer’s progress and response to treatments
• Assure safety of clients and staff during treatment sessions
• Maintain all appropriate documentation with date and signatures
• Graduate from an APTA-accredited physical therapy program.
• Current TB, Proof of MMR & Hepatitis B Documentation
• Excellent Organizational Skills/Ability to multitask
• Excellent analytical and manual skills.
• Detail Oriented and Quality Focused
• Candidates must possess strong clinical skills and good critical thinking.
• General use of computers to communicate via email, word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, Cerner, Source medical documentation.
• Minimum 3 year experience required with intellectually and developmentally disabled persons.
• Ability to work independently.
• Professional Demeanor
• Master's/doctorate degree preferred.
• Must have a valid NJ or PA driver’s license and driving privileges in good standing.
• Licensed in Physical Therapy in state of NJ
• Master's/doctorate degree preferred.
***The PT must be licensed in NJ/PA to perform job related duties.***
Location: Warren County, NJ
Hours: Per-diem, three days per week, 8am-4pm
Salary: Commensurate with experience
The Speech Pathologist will work with individuals who have difficulty speaking, swallowing, and or understanding speech. He or she will focus on improving speech, language, swallowing, and hearing disorders to assist consumers in overcoming disabilities from a variety of causes. The Speech Pathologist will also be responsible for assessing, diagnosing, treating and helping to prevent communication and swallowing disorders in recipients served.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: including but not limited to:
• Provide documented guidelines for speech and language therapy.
• Create or modify instructional material to better serve the recipient and support professionals.
• Prepare detailed information such as charts, records, and graphs for reporting information.
• Must be patient and work well with people
• Well organized with attention to detail
• Provide training and education to support personnel in order to ensure success of plan
• Work collaboratively with support personnel by providing training and education to staff ensure success of treatment plans and Consumer.
• administering and managing clinical and academic programs
• SHA Certificate of Clinical Competence in Speech-Language Pathology (CCC-SLP)
• a master's, doctoral, or other recognized post Baccalaureate degree
• Valid state license in Speech Language Pathology services at the clinical level in the state where services are rendered.
• Graduate of an approved program in Speech/Language Pathology culminating in the receipt of a Master's or Doctoral Degree
• Must be licensed in NJ/PA to perform job related duties.
Salary: $35.00 - $65.00 PER HOUR
Work schedule: Flexible three days/Monday-Friday 21 hours/week
Location: Washington, NJ
Direct Support Professional
Direct service positions providing training, assistance, support and supervision to adults with disabilities in a center based day program. Production, cleaning, projects, psycho-social, community and recreational activities are implemented to stimulate development of positive behaviors and skills while providing an enriching program atmosphere. Abilities is an EOE.
Must be 18 years or older with a HS diploma or equivalent and a valid PA/NJ driver's license with a clean driving record. Positive interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate well with others is required in addition to basic math, reading and writing skills. Assisting individuals served with personal care as it relates to daily living skills. Job requires prolonged standing, lifting, pushing, and pulling. .
Salary: $9.75 per hour
Hours: 8:45am-2:30pm Days: As needed Mon-Fri Status: Substitute
Location: Washington, Phillipsburg, Hackettstown
Van Drivers needed to transport Adults with developmental disabilities to and from an adult day program within Warren County.
Hours: 7am-9am and 2pm-4pm
Salary: $9.75 per hour
Location: Warren County, NJ
Qualified candidates will have a valid NJ/PA Driver's license in good standing. Preferred candidates will be CDL licensed. Candidates should have knowledge of motor vehicle laws, are willing and confident in driving in poor weather conditions, and can concentrate despite noise level in the van. The ideal candidate will also be able to maintain the cleanliness of the vehicle, as well as understand the maintenance check routine. HS Diploma or GED required for this position.
Communications/Marketing Internship Opportunity
Abilities of Northwest Jersey, Inc. is seeking a conscientious College student in their Junior or Senior year for an internship opportunity. The ideal candidate will possess excellent verbal, written and electronic communication skills and will be required to provide a writing sample (such as an article or editorial) at the time of interview. The days/hours are flexible, between 15-20 hours per week expected. The student/intern must provide school requirements to ensure receipt of proper credits at the end of the semester.
Candidates for this opportunity must have a clear background and will be fingerprinted upon acceptance into the program. A valid NJ/PA driver's license is also required.
Please contact Christian Mirabal via e-mail at email@example.com or call 908-689-7460 for more information regarding available positions.
Abilities of Northwest Jersey, Inc. is an equal employment opportunity employer and employs individuals based upon job qualifications regardless of race, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation or affectation, age, veteran or military status, marital status, national origin, disability or any other protected classification as established by applicable discrimination laws.
Abilities' primary purpose is the provision of services to individuals with different abilities. Our program services are driven by consumer needs and expectations. We pride ourselves in recruiting staff who desire to improve the employability and quality of life for people with disabilities. It is this guiding principle, which measures the quality and effectiveness of the agency mission.
Click here for the Employment Application in PDF format. Use this format if you will be manually completing and sending via regular mail or fax.
Click here for the Employment Application in Word format. Use this format if you will be completing the application on a computer. Save to your hard drive, open, update and save file as a Word document and return via e-mail.